As a leader in your community, thank you for applying to attend Camp fYrefly as a Youth Leader! The dates for the upcoming Camps are listed to the right. Applications will open March 6 2017, and are due May 3, 2017.
To apply, as a Youth Leader, you MUST be 18 years or older prior to the beginning of Camp. Second, it is preferred, although not required, that you have attended a previous Camp fYrefly. Youth Leaders serve a special role at Camp fYrefly. Effective Youth Leaders enhance the Camp fYrefly experience and help to open up spaces for informal peer-to-peer education, support, and role modeling. With this in mind, your role will involve many important informal mentoring opportunities with youth at Camp. To help you become successful in this youth leadership role, we will provide you with comprehensive pre-camp training opportunities to help build your leadership, facilitation experience, and mentoring skills. THIS PRE-CAMP TRAINING IS MANDATORY.
Training will be:
Calgary: Evening of June 7, All Day June 10 and 17; evening of July 6th; Edmonton: Evening of July 12, All Day July 15 and 16, evening of July 25th
Applicants selected to be Youth Leaders at Camp fYrefly will receive a detailed registration package containing a pre-Camp checklist and information on travel, meals, accommodation, as well as the REQUIRED health, dietary, legal, media consent, and Criminal Record/Child Welfare Intervention Record Check forms. If chosen as a Youth Leader, instructions will be sent on how to complete this process.
Youth Leaders will receive an honorarium of up to $500.00 for their volunteer time and to honor any time they took off of work. There are three levels that Youth Leaders may choose from to better reflect their budget: Level One: $150 Level Two: $300 Level Three: $500 Youth Leaders who request the honorarium will receive it after Camp is over, once all the required tasks and follow -up activities have been completed to the satisfaction of the Camp Coordinator/Director
How do I apply to be a Youth Leader?
Before clicking on the link at the bottom of this page to apply, please read the following information.
On the application form, you will be asked to provide your medical information, emergency contacts, and t-shirt size. Please have this information ready before beginning your application.
In your application, you will be asked the following questions. Please complete these questions in advance, and copy and paste them into the application form:
1. Why do you want to volunteer at Camp fYrefly? How would this role fit into specific goals you might have?
2. What strengths and abilities will you bring to working with diverse sexual and gender diverse youth?
3. Please list any life/volunteer/work experience that applies to this role (consider certifications, training, youth engagement, activism, artistic experience, involvement with groups, etc.).
4. Camper mentorship is a crucial aspect of the Youth Leader role. What strategies for effective mentorship and empowerment could you use at Camp fYrefly with your campers?
5. Describe two or three practices that are important when working with LGBTQ+ youth who have diverse, intersecting identities at Camp fYrefly.
6. At Camp fYrefly we are committed to working towards social justice as a community of campers and volunteers. What does social justice mean to you?
7. If you have attended camp before as a volunteer, please tell us how coming back to camp will help in reaching your learning and growth goals. If not, please skip this question.
Camp fYrefly is committed to diversity and representation within our camper and volunteer teams. We especially welcome applications from queer individuals of colour, two-spirit and/or indigenous people, people with disabilities and trans-feminine people.
In your application, DO NOT use the back button on your internet browser or the form will clear and your information will be lost. If you need to go to the previously page, use the “back” button on the form itself.
Youth Leader Application
If you have your information ready to go click here to access the form:
* When completing your application, DO NOT use the back button on your internet browser or the form will clear and your information lost. If you need to go to the previously page, use the “back” button on the form itself.