Each year Camp fYrefly offers many workshops for campers to choose from. We are looking for individuals to volunteer with our Campers by leading morning, afternoon, or evening workshops during Camp, which address our five major themes. If you are interested in volunteering to present a workshop at Camp fYrefly, and you feel that you have personal or professional experiences that relate to our core themes, we encourage you, or your organization, to submit a Workshop Proposal. The dates for the upcoming Camps are listed to the right.
What Does it Mean to Present a Workshop at Camp fYrefly?
Camp is an educational, social, and personal learning retreat, focusing on building and nurturing youth leadership potential and personal resiliency in an effort to help youth learn how to make significant contributions to their own lives and communities. As a workshop presenter, you bring personal and/or professional experiences to Camp that help our participants develop these important skills.
In essence, workshops help youth learn how to equip their own personal "resiliency toolbox." To support the development of this resiliency toolbox, we seek presenters who have experience in recognizing how challenging adolescence can be for all youth, and perhaps especially for youth who are coming out and coming-to-terms with their sex, sexual, and gender differences.
Through our workshops we strive to empower campers to envision a healthy and happy future free from fear, abuse, and discrimination. One of the ways this is done is through engaging and interactive workshops where youth can explore and develop strategies for success. Camp fYrefly exists because caring adults believe that all youth are entitled to a world that embraces and encourages diversity rather than fearing it.
If you have questions about presenting a workshop or have suggestions as to which types of workshops you feel would fit into the Camp Program, please contact the Camp fYrefly Coordinator in Edmonton, Calgary, or Saskatchewan.
Apply to Present a Workshop at Camp
You will be asked for the following information in your application. Please have this info ready to copy and paste into your application before starting.
1. What leadership and/or resiliency building skills for sexual and gender minority youth will your workshop emphasize? Please consider Camp fYrefly’s guiding philosophy, principles, and core program themes. Read about our five major themes before starting the application.
2. Please describe any content in your workshop that has the potential to overwhelm, upset or trigger people in your audience? How do you plan to support these participants?
3. Describe your lesson plan, including the interactive and fun activities you plan to do. Feel free to use point form. Please note that workshop presentations are 90 minutes in length and will have a group of approximately 10-20 participants.
4. Write a one-paragraph description of your workshop that will be shared with campers in our program booklet. If you'd like examples of descriptions please contact the camp coordinator.
Before completing your application, please also have ready:
- A catchy (youth friendly) title for your workshop.
- Your AV needs, and any set-up/room needs.
- Camp workshops are scheduled in morning, afternoon and evening blocks. Please be ready to list any blocks where you know you are NOT available to present.
Click to submit a workshop application for:
Workshop applications are open and are due June 9th, 2016.
* When completing your application, DO NOT use the back button on your internet browser or the form will clear and your information lost. If you need to go to the previously page, use the “back” button on the form itself.