As a leader in your community, thank you for applying to attend Camp fYrefly as an Adult Volunteer! The dates for the upcoming Camps are listed to the right. Applications will open March 11 and are due: May 1, 2016.
What Does it take to be a Successful Adult Volunteer?
To be an adult volunteer at Camp fYrefly you MUST be 25 years or older prior to the beginning of Camp. It is also preferred that you have had previous leadership/mentoring experience working with youth. Adult Volunteers serve a very special role at Camp fYrefly as intergenerational role models and positive resources for both Youth Leaders and Campers. Effective Adult Volunteers enhance the Camp fYrefly experience and can help to open up spaces for informal peer-to-peer education, individual support, and role modeling. With this in mind, your role will involve many important informal mentoring opportunities with the youth at Camp. To support you in this important role, we will provide you with comprehensive pre-camp training opportunities to help develop your leadership, facilitation, supervision, and mentoring skills. THIS PRE-CAMP TRAINING IS MANDATORY. Also mandatory is completion of Criminal Record/Child Welfare Intervention Record Check forms. If chosen as an Adult Volunteer, instructions will be sent on how to complete this process. Honoraria will be given based on self-selected financial need.
Training will be:
Calgary: June 18th and 19th; evening of July 6th
Edmonton: July 23rd and 24th; evening of Aug 10th
What Types of Adult Volunteer Roles Are There?
Adult Volunteers will help mentor a group of youth leaders and campers as Pod Mentors. Adult Volunteers also serve a number of unique roles at Camp fYrefly and each take on 1-3 more tasks. Roles such as Workshop Coordinator, Meal Supervision (Calgary), Night Supervision, Talent Show Coordinator, Art Supply monitor, Clothing Swap monitor, Smoking Area supervisor and Sweepers will be decided at training. If you are interested in being a member of the Medical Team, or Counselling Team, please be in touch with the camp coordinator as these roles are assigned well before camp. Please also be in touch if you would like to be noted at camp as a Spiritual point person for youth.
How do I apply to be an Adult Volunteer?
Before clicking on the link at the bottom of this page to apply, please read the following information.
On the online application form, you will be asked to provide your medical information, emergency contacts, and t-shirt size. Please have this information ready before beginning your application.
Each year, we receive more applications to be an Adult Volunteer than there are spaces available, sou you will be asked to answer the following questions in your application to be reviewed by the selection committee:
1. Why do you want to volunteer at Camp fYrefly? How would this role help you to reach your personal and/or professional life goals?
2. What strengths and abilities will you bring to working with diverse sexual and gender minority and allied youth?
3. Please list any life experience/work experience that applies to this role (consider certifications, training, youth leadership, artistic experience, travel, involvement with groups, etc.).
4. What challenges and/or learning needs might you have in terms of working with fYrefly youth?
5. Describe two or three qualities, characteristics and/or practices, which you feel are important when working with youth at Camp fYrefly.
When completing your application, DO NOT use the back button on your internet browser or the form will clear and your information will be lost. If you need to go to the previous page, use the “back” button on the form itself.
Adult Volunteer Application
If you have your information ready to go click here to access the form:
Applications due: April 24, 2016
* When completing your application, DO NOT use the back button on your internet browser or the form will clear and your information lost. If you need to go to the previously page, use the “back” button on the form itself.